We can make the difference in the fight for Seattle City Council, Position 8. The MLKCLC is hosting a canvass for our union sister, Teresa Mosqueda. Teresa is one of us, a proud member of OPEIU Local 8, and a proven leader in campaigns on paid leave and minimum wage, and healthcare. As a City Council member, she will continue to defend protections for workers, seniors, and the environment just as she has at the state level for the past 8 years. Primary election ballots dropped earlier this week – it's go time! We need your help to ensure she can fight for us on the Seattle City Council. What: Labor for Teresa Doorbelling When: Saturday, July 15th, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Where: Hall 8, Seattle Labor Temple, 2800 1st Avenue
What: Labor for Teresa Doorbelling When: Friday, July 28th, 2:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m. Where: Hall 8, Seattle Labor Temple, 2800 1st Avenue
What: Labor for Teresa Doorbelling When: Saturday, July 29th, 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Where: Hall 8, Seattle Labor Temple, 2800 1st Avenue
Using Workplace Safety and Health as an Organizing Tool
Never miss out on an opportunity to organize! The Washington State Labor Education and Research Center (LERC) and the Washington State Labor Council, AFL-CIO are providing a training to teach workers about safety and health issues on the job. LERC Director, Kelly Coogan-Gehr will lead participants through creative, non-technical ways to energize members and workers around union campaigns through the lens of safety and health. Participants will learn the following:
1. Core workplace safety and health issues and how the union and management view these issues differently,
2. How to mobilize workers using a safety and health approach,
3. Safety and health as a strategy for organizing and leadership development,
4. The impact of Right-to-Work legislation on both workplace and community safety and health, and
5. How to build worker power around a safe workplace in which workers are treated with dignity, fairness, and respect. When: Friday, August 4th, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Where: Georgetown Campus, South Seattle College, 6737 Corson Avenue South, Building C Room 122.
Register: contact Kelly Coogan-Gehr at (206) 934–6859 or email@example.com. Cost: $25. Lunch will be provided.
Labor Day 2017
What: Labor Day 2017 When: Monday, September 4th, 2:00 p.m. Where: Tukwila Community Center, 12424 42nd Avenue South
Looking for more local labor news? You can count on the Washington State Labor Council’s online publication, The Stand, to keep you informed.